Saturday, April 12, 2014

Qutub Minar

Qutub Minar
Today we went to Qutub Minar.  It was built in 1193 by Qutab-ud-din Aibak. The tower has five distinct stories.  The first three stories are made of red sandstone.  The fourth and fifth stories are of marble and sandstone. At the foot of the tower is the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque, the first mosque to be built in India.  There are a couple different opinions as to why it was built.  Some believe it was erected as a tower of victory to signify the beginning of the Muslim rule in India. Others say it served as a minaret to the Muslims to call the faithful to prayer.  The details on the stone are very beautiful.  It was really nice to walk around it and see this history still standing.  





























2 comments:

  1. Ah! You're in Delhi! Okay, I'm just a part time blog follower but I found your blog years ago. I someday hope to adopt, but also more than that I am living in India. I am living in Gurgaon (which is to Delhi was Jersey City is to NYC or College Park, Maryland is to D.C) and it's really fun to see bloggers I started following years ago are right near me right now! Congrats on getting your lovely son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved this place too. A photographers dream!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete